Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

the Christmas..

I was running late.. looking at the new wristwatch that my brother Jeff has given me as a  Christmas present, (so sweet of him, I'm kinda not expecting anything, given the status that we are in) I know I am not gonna make it to my 7:00pm schedule. It's December 24th, for crying out loud, 1 hour more and it would be Christmas in the Philippines, 4 hours more and it will be in UAE... and I'm bound to spend it in the Airport. On-duty.

A couple of emotional calls to my family in the Philippines and some heartfelt messages to dearest  friends, my emotions went spiraling down in an instant. It doesn't help that 24th falls on  Friday, because everyone is at home preparing for the Noche Buena, so, while everyone is out doing last minute shopping, buying gifts for the holidays or sending money to the Philippines. I was there, waiting for my f*&%@g bus to arrive. And last but certainly not the freakin least..I was allocated to do Thai Airways flight, to which 75% of the passengers are kabayans bound to go home to the Philippines to spend the holidays with their loved ones. Looking at the long cue of excited passengers, I have felt that this is one those days when I really really wish that I am the one in the "other side of the fence". 

When was the last time I went home? 2 years ago...? God I have been missing a lot! For the last two years I have been busily spending my annual leave in making business trips to other country. Instead of going home, when I am expected to spend money, I chose to go elsewhere where I could earn more of it. I have always been practical in nature and for the last 2 years,  my practicality beats me badly.  Being the eldest in the brood of  four, I have taken the responsibility of providing for the family. My urgent need to PROVIDE is always greater than my need to get self gratification. Now, there is nothing I would trade for a few hours with my loved ones, especially with my Mother..

I recalled on the way to work, when the MRT doors opened... the voice said.. Al mattar, magna rakam wahed.... Airport Terminal 1... 

One kabayan.. hurried past me  carrying loads of shopping bags and she said exasperatingly  " Haayyy !Ang bigat namn ng dala-dala ko....!!

Following her with heavy steps,  alighting  the Metro,  I whispered... "Me too..."











No comments:

Post a Comment