Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

the Abra


I went to Bur Dubai last week to sort out some things on the "the other side" of the city. Since I don't want to be stuck in a traffic I decided to take the "Abra" instead.

Abra is the oldest form of transport in the UAE..the creek that divides the Deira and BurDubai is being crossed with this ferry boat.

During our crazy night outs with friends, we normally take the old one like this:
We pay 1.50 AED for each trip. It is open air.. so you can smell the mold-crude oil combined scent of the creek.Oddly enough it has a calming effect on me.

But RTA got a better options for the commuters. For 2 dirhams you can ride this air-conditioned ferry boat. Since I am particularly lazy today... as always.. I wanna share with you these photos I have taken.. no need for caption, I guess, let the photo speaks for itself:

Here is the RTA modern version of an Abra:

credit for the Photo goes to the RTA portal






 The PORT
















The BOAT




a 36 seater, air-conditioned ferry boat






the configuration









 glass doors..






mahogany ..?? and plasma screen... whoah.. seriously?.. for a 2 minute ride??






life jackets under your seats...






glass windows.. and walls .. 360 degrees of awesomeness!











 
 this is my one and only co-passenger. the ferry left with only the two of us. it means for that particular ride they only got 4 dirham revenue! haaah.. seems ridiculous right?

anyways, we are both busy taking pictures...

 



let's go navigate!


and to complete the day I saw this Water-Bus.... 





 

This bus functions both  in water and in land..

the driver said, they also have Water Taxi, if in case you want to tour the city  and want to escape the traffic!

kyoooot!

Pardon the bad photo. It was taken behind the glass window using my mobile phone.. :-)


So how about you? where have you been navigating lately...?

2 comments:

  1. Mars i like it too much.... it was a great & real historical abra......

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much.. I'm glad you liked it.. :)

    ReplyDelete